Suggest treatment for schwannoma tumor near the heart in an elderly person

Posted on Mon, 14 Nov 2016 in Cancer
Question: Hi I am a 74 yr old female. I have been diagnosed with a Schwannoma tumor near my heart. I have been seen by my cardiologist, Internest, cardiac thoracic surgeon & neurosurgeon. Two tell me it needs to come out now and 2 want to wait a yr and then do another MRI. I really do not know what to do.
I have done a lot of research and realize it can become very serious and the surgery is no picnic. Have been advised my chest will probably have to be cracked as in heart surgery. What is your opinion?
I failed to mention that I had to have another removed about 3 yrs. ago.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diagnostic dilemma

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query and understand the diagnostic dilemma. The issue is that both the ailment as well as the treatment (the surgery in this case) have their own negativities. If the benefits outweigh the risks, a clear solution emanates. Unfortunately that is not the case here. Both the situations (with surgery and without) are intriguing, thus creating a dilemma and there is no single solution to offer. It remains to be evaluated whether you want to take the risk of another surgery or the complications that the Schwanomma could give (it is not necessary though that complications have to occur). Unfortunately, doctors can only explain you the situation and give you an individualized suggestion about which they think to be best. But you yourself would need to make the choice. There is no easier alternative available.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha