• question-icon

Suggest treatment for scabies

Posted on Sat, 5 Apr 2014 in Infections
Question: A friend of mine had scabies very recently and I'm nervous that I may get them from her. If so how can I get rid of them?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: permethrin 5% Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic Scabies is caused by the mite sarcoptes scabiei hominis. Burrows are the classical symptoms caused by tunneling of the female mite. They appear as these twisted raised grey to red like tracks in the skin about 2 mm to 10 long.Mostly seen web spaces of the fingers, palm aspect of the wrist, elbows, axilla, belt line, feet, areola. The itching can worsen over a 2 to 3 week period and it is worse at night. Treatment: The treatment of choice is 5% permethrin lotion , it is applied and then repeated in 7 days. It is placed over the entire body , left for 8 to 12 hours then rinsed off This would require a prescription from your doctor. Other treatments are lindane, sulfur topical ,ivermectin but these are not as effective The most common reasons that treatment fails are: not enough lotion used or the appropriate one is not used. In addition to the lotion, if the infection occurs you would need to wash clothes and linen in hot water and dry in the dryer using the hottest setting. All persons in your household would need treatment. I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James