• question-icon

What causes sudden itching all over the body?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have intensely itchy skin, all over my body, especially on my hands and fingers, but all over, including arms, legs, buttocks, scalp, pubic region, ears, on both sides of my body. Very little rash, but a few reddish bumps, but itching in many more places than where the rash is. Been going on for 2 days. Please help!
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to scabies

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us,

I am Dr.kakkar (Dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

A short history of generalized itching with scattered itchy bumps could possibly be due to scabies particularly if the itching is distributed in the pubic region, buttocks, arms and legs.

I'd suggest you to take single dose of Ivermectin 12mg tablet. In addition I suggest you to take an oral antihistamine e.g tablet Cetirizine 10mg once daily for 10 days. You may continue with Over the counter triple antibiotic cream for the itchy rash.

Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 7 minutes later
What is scabies? And what causes it? Also, the intense "itching" is now especially focused in both of my hands, particularly in all of my fingers and thumbs. Also in my scalp and pubic region. Can these suggested medicines be purchased over the counter? Or are they prescriptions? This is driving me crazy! Very intense, need relief asap.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for scabies

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Scabies is caused by a mite Sarcoptes Scabiei.
The infection is acquired by direct/ close contact with someone who already has the infection. It presents clinically as intensely itchy bumps which are especially itchy at night. The regions which itch the most are lower abdomen, finger web spaces, pubic regions, arms, upper legs etc.
There are various treatment options like 5% Permethrin cream Or 1% Gamma Benzene Hexachloride lotion (GBHC). They need to be applied all over the body, neck downwards with special attention all the sites prone like finger web spaces, below nails, lower abdomen, pubic region, upper thighs, arms, axilla and other other body folds etc etc. The medication is left overnight and the patient can bath next day. I am not sure but I guess GBHC is available OTC.
Ivermectin 12mg tablet is an alternative. It is available with prescription.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist