Suggest treatment for ruptured achilles tendon

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I ruptured my Achilles tendon last night in a pickup basketball game. I am a fairly active person who enjoys running, golf, walks, coaching youth sports, etc. Nothing crazy, but not a full time couch potato. I thought surgery was the only way to treat a rupture, but my orthopedic Dr, talked ot m to day about a non-surgical option as well. I'm curiousde as to your opinion on surgery vs. immobilization?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery needed if more than partial thickness is torn.

Detailed Answer:
A ruptured achilles tendon can heal with rest and immobilization if it is a partial rupture and involves less than half of the thickness of the tendon. If the rupture of tendon is more than a partial thickness rupture then surgical repair is necessary. This can be diagnosed after an MRI scan. You can avoid the surgery if your orthopedician is saying so. You will have to provide rest to your foot for proper healing.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal