Suggest treatment for red spots on forehead and cheeks

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had facial skin problem for 1 year. Every time I wash my face, I get red spotty patches on my forehead and cheeks. I can upload photos. Skin is also dry and itchy. I have been using Elidel cream for 6 months. It calms the skin itchness down. The redness disappear after few hours. I see more improvement if I do not wash my face for a day. Soon as I wash, the spotty patches are back again and I repeat Elidel.

This may or may not be related but I have oily scalp.

What is the specific skin condition that I have? What is the long terms treatment?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seborrhoeic dermatitis , need for antifungal

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the attached pictures .
Your basic problem seems to be that of seborrhoeic dermatitis .
I can see that the redness and dryness of skin is more over the hairy areas of face and scalp.
I would advise you to mix and apply canestan or Candid cream with elidel cream over the affected areas twice a day.
In addition, you need to take some oral antifungals like fluconazole along. Kindly mention which place you belong to, so that I can tell you the medicine accordingly.
You should avoid using oil over face or scalp.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis takes some time to go but since it is a chronic skin problem , so it has a tendency to recur.

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 5 hours later
Thank you for your answer.

I am based in UK.

I have appointment with consultant dermatologist today.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wishing you speedy recovery

Detailed Answer:
Ok. That is good.
I would suggest that you can discuss the told possibilities with your doctor.
A direct examination of the patient is always better and help in proper assessment of the problem and more accurate diagnosis .
You can always follow up in case of any problems .

Dr Geetika Paul