Suggest treatment for recurrent sinus infection

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: My son has had medical issues for years. He had a severe anoxic brain injury when he was 15, due to asthma. He finally came through that, with not to many lasting effects. Anyway, he has had stomachaches and cramps for about three years now. He's seen a specialist and takes medicine for a condition which is near krohns, but not quite there yet. However, his stomach still hurts. He has one sinus infection on top of the next. He has allergies to a lot of environmental things, such as weeds, grass, etc. And cats and some other animals. He gets so run down a lot, sometimes from just having a busy social weekend. He is exhausted and his eyes and face look rundown and sick all the time. Most people get rundown or look tired now and then, but his is constant and unnatural for anyone to be like that all the time. He went to his Dr. today with another sinus infection and asked the Dr if about his immune system, but the Dr just seemed to shrug it off. This has gone on far too long. He needs help from someone, but we don't know what kind of Dr he should see, or for what, exactly. What do you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to consult allergist (allergy specialist).

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, he should consult allergist (allergy specialist) and get done serum IgE level.
If IgE levels are high then omalizumab (monoclonal antibody) is the treatment of choice.
Oral combination of antihistamine (levocetrizine or fexofenadine) and anti allergic (montelukast) is also beneficial than plain antihistamine (zyrtec).
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 40 hours later
Thank you. I'm going to let my son know what you suggested. Hopefully it will help. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for your kind words.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
Thanks for your kind words. It's always encouraging for doctors to hear positive feedback from patients. I am glad that my advice is helping you.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wishing good health to your son. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 0 minute later
I just thought of another question. You said a combination of antihistamine and anti allergic is better than Zyrtec. Would he have to get a prescription, or is there something over the counter for that?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This will need prescription.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Yes, this combination will mostly need prescription.
This depends on place where he is living.
Some countries have this combination over the counter while some will demand prescription.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 13 minutes later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please close the conversation and rate my answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.