Suggest treatment for recurrent lesions on body folds

Dermatologist
Question
I keep having boils too often to my body that develop into cysts. Such as under the armpits, thighs or near the groin. Been taking antibiotics but still they do reoccur. What's the cause?
Could I be having mrsa? What is the ointment to apply to nares to prevent the occurrence of this?Very scared coz I do have small children in my house.
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hidradenitis suppuritiva

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are suffering from recurrent lesions in your flexural ( body folds) area.

From your history and description, I would consider the diagnosis of a condition called as Hidradenitis suppuritiva.

This is a chronic condition with remissions and relapses. It occurs due to the occlusion of the scent producing glands in our body called as " apocrine glands". These are concentrated in our underarms, groins, thighs and buttock area. When these get blocked, it forms nodules, which get by bacteria which in turn form pus filled boils and cysts which will eventually scar.

There is no single treatment for this which is considered 100% effective.

During active episodes, antibiotics help. You have mentioned that you are tired of antibiotics. I understand your frustration. There are a few other treatment options for chronically relapsing ones.

Acitretin is a retinoid which gives good results and prevents relapses. However, this should be taken with caution under a dermatologist's supervision and pregnancy is contraindicated during its intake.

Another option is Finasteride. This also has shown to maintain relapses.

Do discuss these options with your dermatologist.

As far as your query as to the ointment to apply to the nares is concerned, itis 2 % Mupirocin ointment. But this will not specifically help your condition. It is used only in cases of common boils or furuncles.

I hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for recurrent lesions on body folds 2 days later
I will definitely try your suggestions.
Last year I had a c-section with my 8month old son. 3 weeks after his birth my c-sec edged areas became dehiscent. Notified I had a small trace of mrsa in my wound. Put on strong antibiotics. Is there any connection between mrsa and my boils reoccurring?
With the kind of boils you suggest I do have is it very contagious especially to my children or to my husband coz of the close contact?
The medications you suggested can I get them without a doc's script?

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hidradenitis suppuritiva

Detailed Answer:

Greetings!

There is no direct connection between MRSA and the lesions. The lesions can recur on their own. However, if they get secondarily infected, the organism could be any bacteria including MRSA. It is better that you get a pus culture test done to identify the organism and take appropriate antibiotics.

When the nodules get infected, you could spread it to your close contacts. So prompt treatment with antibiotics is necessary since your child is more susceptible to skin infections.

The medicines which I have mentioned for remission can be got only with a dermatologist's prescription. Moreover, they have to be monitored for side effects. A woman cannot get pregnant while on acitretin and also for a year after stopping it.

Hope this answers your queries.

Do discuss the treatment options with your doctor.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for recurrent lesions on body folds 4 hours later
Thank you for the info.....

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

Wishing you good health,
Dr. Johny Chacko