Suggest treatment for rebound tachycardia symptoms and hallucinations after taking Metoprolol

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 5 Mar 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was put on this medicatio the metoprolol succer100 MG by my heart doctor. I began having halucinations, seeing and hearing things that were not there. I had also been given Entresto at the same time. OI stopped taking bth for a few days and I didn'y "see" things anymore, then I resumed and told my doctor the next week.He said he thought it was probably the tro, but to stop the meds one at a time to figure it out. I did that about 4 days ago. And I am, sure it is the cause. However, I had a pace/defib maker implanted 10 days ago. I honestly did not think to call my doctor.
last night and tonight i have tried to lay on my left side, which I had been able to for a few days, but last night and tonight, my heart feels like it is beating itself to death! My husband cannot feel it, but I sure can! do I need to eat something and take this pill now? Can THAt be the problem?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to metoprolol interruption.

From the other hand, you should know that metoprolol can lead to hallucinations as a known adverse effect.

But, it is not recommended to stop it cold turkey, as it may cause rebound tachycardia, with similar complaints like yours.

Coming to this point, I would recommend restarting Entresto at the same dose as recommended and also metoprolol, but at a lower dose (half of the dose), in order to avoid reappearance of hallucinations.

If palpitations persist, I recommend going to the ER for an ECG.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri