Suggest treatment for rash and burning sensation on arms and legs post scabies

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello , I was diagnosed with scabies last week . The doctor said if I did have it, it was a mild case . But she prescribed me the permethrin cream just in case . It has been one week now and I still feel stinging in my legs from time to time. I also get a rash on my left arm that can wake me up at night . Last night I woke up feeling a burning on my left thigh and I had two little red bumps there with a red dot in the middle.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post scabies itch, takes time to go

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
I would like to tell you that scabies is basically a mite infection.
Application of permethrin to the whole body once is usually sufficient to kill the mite. However the itching and the development of new lesions might continue for atleast four to six weeks even after the mites have been killed. The new lesions might keep coming up as an allergic relation.
So all you need to do is to take some oral antihistamine like claritin once a day or benadryl on regular basis for sometime . You can apply some local topical steroid cream like cortisone over the affected areas twice a day .
So it might just take sometime before you are completely relieved.

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Ok thank you . The stinging has decreased since I first used the cream but I just found it strange that the stinging on my thigh woke me up last night . Is this normal ?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

The itching in scabies is more prominent at night.
So it could be the reason for you feeling more irritation at night.
I would advise you to take the treatment as advised. It might take time for complete recovery.

Dr Geetika Paul