Suggest treatment for premature graying of hair

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have lot of gray hair. Is there a medicine to stop gray hair from growing further?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment for Premature graying of hair

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

The first onset of gray hair and the speed at which people go gray varies from person to person. Most people actually start going gray in their late 20's but they don't notice it immediately. "Premature graying" is defined as significantly increased or noticeable gray hair onset, before age 30 in Asians.

Premature graying of hair occurs more commonly without any underlying pathology and is said to be mostly inherited. A role is postulated for environmental factors such as ultraviolet light, smoking, deficiency of trace elements and nutritional deficiencies in the causation of premature graying.

Currently treatment options are few, namely Para aminobenzoic acid (PABA) and Calcium pantothenate (CP) though they are well known to arrest and even reverse premature graying. One such combination goes by the name of PABATAB-BZ tablet, marketed by shalak's pharmaceuticals contains both of these ingredients in adequate concentration. Recommendation is to take twice daily for 6 months. Another alternative is VIGHAN-CP tablet which is to be taken once daily for 6 months.

Topical 1% Melitane is a new molecule that has become available for premature gray hair. It is available as a gel and needs to be applied once daily (2ml) at hair roots.

These are prescription medications and should be used under supervision and guidance of a dermatologist. I suggest that you visit a dermatologist in your region for the needful.