Suggest treatment for polyuria, stiff neck, cold hands and shivers down the spine

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been taking zantac since August 1st. Since Sept 1st I inv=creased it to 150 mg po bid.
I started to experience worsening polyuria for the last 6 days and also cramps and frequent formed BMs.
I decided to taper down zantac to 75 mg po bid starting today. I very concerned about the polyuria. I am sure it is directly related to zantac. I read other reports. Shoudl I stop zantac completely? Is polyuria just a side effect of zantac or should I take it as a sign of AKI? I am a cardiac NP. I know I should have a BMP done but I wonder if I should stop zantac or taper it down?
I also experience stif neck, cold hands, shivers down my spine.

I need to see the answer online NOW.
I do not have access to my Iphone right now.
Please display the answer ASAP
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
you can shift to proton pump inhibitor

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
There have been quite few reports about having polyuria in people taking ranitidine ( active form of zantac). It is especially commonly seen in females of your age group.
If GERD is the problem i would like to suggest you to shift from rantac to proton pump inhibitor group of drugs.
They are more potent than ranitidine group and 1 tablet per day will give similar effect of taking 2 zantac per day.
And they also do not have the side effects of zantac.
So i would like to suggest you to go for pantoprazole 40mg one tab in morning before breakfast will be effective throughout the day.
Or omeprazole 20mg
Or Ilaprazole 10mg.
You can choose any of them but ilaprazole is most potent with least side effects.
Dose is same ie. 1 tab in morning before breakfast.
I hope i have answered your query well.
If you have any more query kindly write back to me will be happy to answer them.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj