Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

145 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for polycythemia

Answered by
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 3614 Questions

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: Indications of being told you have a high red blood cell count in your liver? I'm sorry, all the info I have.

Takes 3-4 800 mg ibuprofen 3-5 days a week for last two yrs. bad stomachache, anorexic. His MD wants MRI. Had ultrasound today but no info on findings. No liver bx, just blood work. All I know

Ok, found out 20 yo male, weight lifter without steroid use. Abdominal pain for one year. As I said, MRI REQUESTED. Lab work indicated a very high red blood cell count and all this kid remembered via phone conversation is that liver was mentioned. I realize this is scant info to go by, just wondering what your gut tells you. Thankyou, do the best you can with minimal info. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up and management for polycythemia.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your cocnern. Red blood cells have a normal reference range of 4.2 to 5.4 million cells per microliter. Raised count than this upper limit needs further work up. It could be normal physiological finding if you are living at higher altitude from sea levels , in that case nothing to worry about. Many other cases like dehydration can lead to hemoconcentration. The clinical term used for raised red blood cells is called polycythemia. At age of 58 secondary causes of raised blood cells like lungs and heart diseases, kidney diseases or use of anabolic steroids should be evaluated. If you have any gastric discomfort or your body itch when taking hot shower then work up for polycythemia vera a pathological cause should be proceeded with , JAk 2 mutation tests can be performed.

As far as liver is concerned, that might be presenting some other explanation, only can be commented on if report is available. Consult your hematologist and let them clinically correlate your polycythemia symptoms.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Like dehydration

doctor1 MD

I am a healthy, athletic woman, age 66, who never had any heart disease problems. I was still doing difficult climbing in my late 50s. I do have relatively low blood pressure 107/68, and it can drop from sitting to standing to 99/60. i was in a...

doctor1 MD

I have aching thighs (front part) at night that prevent me from sleeping. Even when I take over-the-counter pain melds it doesn't help.

doctor1 MD

I m a 43 year old woman and have been physically active most of my life but recently I noticed when I walk on my tread mill more than 30 min. or try moderate aerobics i feel dizzy. I m very frustrated & sad.

doctor1 MD

My blood pressure is 98 over 40 is that to low? I'm scared? I m 26 yrs old female