Suggest treatment for pleomorphic adenoma

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 17 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i am looking for a ENT doctor in Salisbuy, md for a second opinion. my current doctor is D.r XXXXXXX but I need a second in before I move forward with surgery
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pleomorphic adenoma or Warthin's Tumor.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. I am assuming that the benign nature of the parotid swelling has been confirmed by an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology).

2. The most common types of benign parotid growth is a pleomorphic adenoma. This has a malignant potential of about 10% over 15 years. The other important type is a Warthin's Tumor (normally seen in the tail of the parotid) which is also a benign tumor which rarely turns malignant. Some other rare types are also seen.

3. Pleomorphic adenomas require a wide margin during excision to prevent a recurrence. This is important as pleomorphic adenoma may present as a malignant growth after incomplete excision.

4. Are you in Salisbury USA or UK. This will help suggest a doctor or hospital in your area.

5. Removal of a 2 cm mass should not be difficult and it depends upon the exact location. Upload the MRI images for an assessment.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later
I live in Salisbury, Maryland, USA and need a second opinion because Dr. XXXXXXX says the mass is not yet cancerous but can become malignant very quickly. No FNAC has been done, just the report and the scans have been looked at. I am anxious that if it is currently benign how long does it take to become malignant. I am 70 years old and if I could just be tested every year or so that is what I would prefer. YES, I am rather scared and just need someone else's opinion.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cancerous change is rare and slow in salivary tumors.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. I would recommend that you get a second opinion from the local University Hospital of Maryland Medical Center.

2. As mentioned in my previous answer, if this is a pleomorphic adenoma, then the chance of cancer is about 10% over 15 years. For a Warthin's tumor, the chance is even lower.

Regards.