Suggest treatment for persistent pain in the knee

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I have started feeling uneasy in my knees for last 4 months.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please explain

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your query.

I need to know your symptoms in detail so that I am better able to help you.
How long do you have the symptoms?
Is there any associated swelling?
Are you able to walk?
Any sounds from the knee while walking?
How did the symptoms start?
Any associated symptoms?
Any other relevant details?

You should see an orthopedic surgeon and get appropriate examination and tests done like x-ray etc. You can share the reports of the tests with me.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 15 hours later
No I don't have any swelling or sound while walking. Yes, I am able to walk. I have been travelling 100 kms daily in cab for last 2 years and most of the time I feel the pain in my knees in the cab only. Calcium deficiency can be the cause or anything else can be the issue?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems like chondromalacia

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

From your description it seems like chondromalacia but can also be ligament injury or osteoarthritis.

Chondromalacia can be easily treated with exercises like quadriceps strengthening exercises, swimming, walking, cycling within comfort level with seat high, and pain-killers as needed.

Exercises which will help strengthen knee muscles are:

In lying flat on back – move your ankle up and down, keeping small rolled towel below knee-press your knee cap on towel and hold for 15 sec, lift your leg straight alternately 10-15 times.

Sitting on chair- extend your legs alternately [hold in extension for 15 sec]

Standing half squat taking support of wall to back.

To rule out osteoarthritis (less likely), x-ray of the knees should be done. Yes calcium deficiency should be ruled out with blood tests - serum calcium levels and vit D levels and supplements are to be taken after these tests.

To get it properly diagnosed and treated, you need to see an orthopedic surgeon.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj