Suggest treatment for persistent pain in the knee

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I have started feeling uneasy in my knees for last 4 months.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please explain

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your query.

I need to know your symptoms in detail so that I am better able to help you.
How long do you have the symptoms?
Is there any associated swelling?
Are you able to walk?
Any sounds from the knee while walking?
How did the symptoms start?
Any associated symptoms?
Any other relevant details?

You should see an orthopedic surgeon and get appropriate examination and tests done like x-ray etc. You can share the reports of the tests with me.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 15 hours later
No I don't have any swelling or sound while walking. Yes, I am able to walk. I have been travelling 100 kms daily in cab for last 2 years and most of the time I feel the pain in my knees in the cab only. Calcium deficiency can be the cause or anything else can be the issue?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems like chondromalacia

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

From your description it seems like chondromalacia but can also be ligament injury or osteoarthritis.

Chondromalacia can be easily treated with exercises like quadriceps strengthening exercises, swimming, walking, cycling within comfort level with seat high, and pain-killers as needed.

Exercises which will help strengthen knee muscles are:

In lying flat on back – move your ankle up and down, keeping small rolled towel below knee-press your knee cap on towel and hold for 15 sec, lift your leg straight alternately 10-15 times.

Sitting on chair- extend your legs alternately [hold in extension for 15 sec]

Standing half squat taking support of wall to back.

To rule out osteoarthritis (less likely), x-ray of the knees should be done. Yes calcium deficiency should be ruled out with blood tests - serum calcium levels and vit D levels and supplements are to be taken after these tests.

To get it properly diagnosed and treated, you need to see an orthopedic surgeon.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Vaishalee Punj

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 2349 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Ligament injury

doctor1 MD

Is there any other treatment other than surgery for ACL tear ? I got ligament injury in my right knee . I was affected on January 2011. Still i am...

doctor1 MD

I fell approximately 4' from a ladder one week ago. Fell on my right knee, just below the cap. I thought perhaps I just had a bone bruise , but is...

doctor1 MD

I heard a pop in my knee followed by a lot of pain. Pain is sharp. I am unable to bear weight. I have taken a week off work thinking I sprained it,...

doctor1 MD

I had a Tkr XXXXXXX 29 of this year. Things were progressing very well nail my PT pushed knee to 120 and held it there. After that I hspad bad pain...

doctor1 MD

I am 62 years and weigh 110 kg. on 20th feb. 2014 I suffered muscular injury of my right shoulder after fall on ground while trying to catch...

doctor1 MD

Apart from my Ankle ligament injury/tearing I didn t had any health issues of any kind. While playing cricket my right ankle injury took place....

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

179 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction