How can a bone bruise be treated after a fall?

Question
I fell approximately 4' from a ladder one week ago. Fell on my right knee, just below the cap. I thought perhaps I just had a bone bruise, but is not getting better. painful when walking, no swelling or signs of bruising.
Mon, 14 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hot compress should help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would insist you to see a doctor (an orthopedician) and to get yourself evaluated. The fall would definitely have caused soft tissue injury although I do not expect a fracture of the long bones involved (else you would not have been able to walk). The bruise is unlike to expand and would eventually resolve in a week or so (after some color changes). But I am worried about the possibility of a ligament injury. Hot compress should help. You may take pain medication like Aleve (naproxen) if needed, preferably in full stomach.

Let me know if I could help further.