How can a bone bruise be treated after a fall?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in General Health
Question: I fell approximately 4' from a ladder one week ago. Fell on my right knee, just below the cap. I thought perhaps I just had a bone bruise, but is not getting better. painful when walking, no swelling or signs of bruising.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hot compress should help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would insist you to see a doctor (an orthopedician) and to get yourself evaluated. The fall would definitely have caused soft tissue injury although I do not expect a fracture of the long bones involved (else you would not have been able to walk). The bruise is unlike to expand and would eventually resolve in a week or so (after some color changes). But I am worried about the possibility of a ligament injury. Hot compress should help. You may take pain medication like Aleve (naproxen) if needed, preferably in full stomach.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T