• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent pain and swelling in the bottom of the foot

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 61 years old. I have pain and swelling below my first two toes. I walked a long distance 2 weeks ago and it has bothered me every since. I had an x-ray which showed degenerative spurring in my heel and arthritis in my foot. It is a very light purple when swollen. I am taking Advil which relieves the swelling temporarily. Could it be an infection of some kind ? It is fairly sore to the touch. My massage therapist had to move bones back in place a few days after the walk and said my arch was flat.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be metatarsalgia.

Detailed Answer:
The persistent pain and swelling can be due to metatarsalgia or a mild infection in the area. MRI scan is the best investigation to detect such minor changes. it is best to consult an orthopedician for an examination and proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
I goggled Metatarsalgia and it appears that it is pain and swelling on the bottom of the foot near the toes. My swelling and pain is on the top of the foot at the base of the first two toes after the big toe. Would this also be Metatarsalgia?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms can vary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
This can be metatarsalgia or due to the flat foot. The symptoms can vary. Pain killers and anti inflammatory medicines will help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon