Suggest treatment for persistent loose motions in child

Posted on Fri, 26 Sep 2014 in Child Health
Question: my 7 month old baby is suffering from loose motions for last one month. had stool test also but was negative. earlier the doctor was assuming that she is having bacterial infection as she had rashes on her bumps, so suggested Zifi-50 syrup and Z&D (Motions 8-10 per day- after every meal).During this course she was fine but as we have stopped the medicines , motions started again and we waited for 7 days. again we went to doc he hs stopped all dairy products and started with nusobee-casein and ZOCON XXXXXXX and nutrolin -b . but she was not under control so again we have started with oflox antibiotic for 7 days.although the frequency have reduced after all this but still on an average she is passing motions 5 times a day. in between only once i have seen muscus andsingle light blood string in poo . Today we went to pediatric gastrologist and she hs advised certain tests like CBC, DLC, CRP, Ig, E, Ps(i dont know whats all ths) . suggested to start with neogain and rice(nestle), Z&D. CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO now. DONT WANT TO GO FOR EXPERIMENTING AGAIN AND AGAIN, so worried plz help us. during all this her weight was 6.4 then 6.28 then 6.4 again and today it was 6.6. Should i continue giving her nusobee or switch to nan pro-2
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent dysentry,stool culture,Proper Antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dear
Welcome to the HCM,

In exclusively breast fed child.stomach infection possibilities are usually not frequent.
REASON
But at 7 months of age, babies do put fingers in their mouth. Leading to the recurrent stomach infection and diarrhea.
INVESTIGATION
Sole and must investigation required is stool culture/sensitivity and this will be the ice breaking for the cause.
RESULT AND TREATMENT
Stool culture /sensitivity may give us the exact bug causing the problem, and also the exact drug (relevant antibiotic with proper recommended doses) effective to eradicate the infection.
LACTOSE INTOLERANCE MANAGEMENT
At the same time redness in the glutel area of the baby is showing the acidic nature of the stool which further causes the increase in loose stools. This indicates that the baby has also developed secondary Lactose Intolerance (as a consequence of GIT infection).
Such condition can be treated with by giving the lactose free milk or feeds.
So please discontinue the breast feed and other animal milk for some time (a week or so) which do contain some amount of Lactose.

Shift to Lactose free milk formula available with your near by chemist in the name of (Simyle MCT powder/Lactonil/Neosobee etc). You should continue with Neosobee milk till the recovery.Taste of such lactose free powder is little different form the normal milk, But gradually baby may start accepting it.
This milk can be given till the loose stools are stopped and baby is comfortable.
SEMI SOLID INTRODUCTION
Since the baby is 7 month old, She can be introduced with some semisolid feed which are free of any sugar(Lactose) like ( dal rice soup, boiled meshed potatos, banana etc.

Nestum/ Easum are some semisolid commercial product available in the market. These can also be tried with good result.
RASH MANAGEMENT
Perianal and periurethral area of the baby might have also become red (inflammed) because of acidic nature of stools.This can be overcome by applying simple soothing cream like rash free etc. If this is not effective then one can apply milder steroidal cream like betnovate etc for the quick results.
STABILIZATION OF INTESTINE
Probiotics like Neutrolin B/econorm/entrogermina etc also to be given for the stability of intestinal mucosa.

In nut shell; stool culture .Treat with relevant antibiotics according to the culture report.

HYDRATION MAINTENANCE
Maintain the hydration and nutrition of the baby as required.

Hope the child should recover with such management in 3 to 5 days.
Please feel free for the further clarification.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Irshad H Naqvi

Pediatrician