• question-icon

Suggest treatment for recurrent herpes infection

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I had faced with Herpes 2 years back and was cured by taking Valcivir Tab, now very rarely it occurs in me whenever it occurs I get it cured by applying Herpex Ointment, thru me the virus got transmitted to my wife initially she also got cured with the same medicine, last year she faced with Herpes along with Vaginal infection she was cured by taking 1no. Fas 3 Kit and 1no. Zocon 200 mg for 10 days and Valcivir 500, now she had faced the same problem and she took the same course of medicine her herpes had gone also the pain and itching had gone but the white discharge is still continuing. Also we both have done HIV test results were negative. Can you suggest a better and permanent cure for both Herpes and Vaginal Infection.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for herpes and vaginal discharge

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
There is NO permanent cure for herpes. There can be recurences of genital herpes though the frequency of these recurrences reduces with time. If the recurences are far and few, they are best treated with episodic oral antiviral e.g valacyclovir or acyclovir. However if the recurrences are frequent e.g more than 6-9 episodes of genital herpes every year then it is best to start suppressive oral antiviral therapy. Therefore you both may consider suppressive oral antiviral therapy with once daily valacyclovir 500mg tablet (Valcivir 500mg or Zimivir 500mg tablet).
As far as the white discharge is concerned it is most likely due to a mixed bacterial infection i.e bacterial vaginosis. I would suggest oral metronidazole 400mg (Tab. Flagyl 400mg), thrice daily for a week.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 24 minutes later
Once daily valacyclovir 500mg tablet for how many days and do I need to do any test for the bacterial infection.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding vaginal discharge

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You may take valacyclovir 500mg once daily for an year or even longer. It would prevent future recurrences of genital herpes as long as you take it. For vaginal discharge clinical examination is usually diagnostic. A bacterial vaginosis would usually present with a thin grey vaginal discharge and a fishy odor whereas a yeast infection would present with a thick curdy discharge and vaginal itching. Since she has already taken oral antifungal i.e zocon for 10 days therefore I suspect that she most likely has bacterial vaginosis.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist