• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent high fever and chills

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, my daughter is having high fever since 7-8 days with no other major symptom. Her fever used to come back with chills every 3-4 hours till we started giving zifi 100 twice daily. 5th dose was given just now but fever is very unpredictable as it was off for 12 hrs but now again made a comeback in 6 hrs. We got her blood and urine tests done- Typhidot, Malaria, CBC. Everything has come out normal. Please advice
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to point to viral cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. The blood investigations give normal results in case of viral infections. However, although the Typhidot test report is negative I would still insist on getting a Widal test done to rule out enteric fever. If the result comes negative possibly it is due to nothing but a viral infection and it is no use .

Please be patient
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha