Suggest treatment for persistent heart palpitations

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 48 yr old woman in good health and average weight. For the past 4 days i have experience irregular heartbeats. My Fitbit has recorded some as fast as 184 bpm and some as slow as 54 bpm (sleeping) I saw a cardiologist 9 years ago for this when it was much more infrequent and was told it was atrial tachycardia and I "shouldn't worry about it". My problem today is that it is happening everyday and I am on vacation on Martha's Vineyard and I need to know if I should be going to hospital for this or can it wait til I get home on Monday? This has got me very concerned. There is no pain or shortness of breath just the irregular heartbeat. Please help thanks
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check pulse for longer period

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs,

Check your pulse with your index finger and middle finger for a minute or two, if you feel that it is always irregular, you should see a doctor today, if it is mostly regular and you have irregular beats from time to time, then repeat it 5-6 times in an hour, if it is still regular, with some irregular beats, then you can wait until Monday. But if irregular beats are more than normal beats you should see a doctor. Also if you feel prolonged irregular rhythm during the day, you should see a doctor.

Hope this was helpful

Come back if you have any further questions
Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 23 minutes later
When you say irregular pulse do you mean faster or slower than normal or like an unsteady beat or either?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
I mean unsteady beats, when there is no regular interval between consecutive beats, it can be both slow and fast, there can be some slow beats and some fast beats.