• question-icon

Suggest treatment for dizziness and tachycardia

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question:
I have a heart condition called Ectopic Atrial Tachycardia. And I take 50mg of Flecainide Acetate twice daily. And with it I take Bisoprolol-hctz 5-6.25mg HALFED. I take one dose at 8:30am and another dose at 3:00pm. And then I take 1mg Ativan at 9:30am, 4:30pm, and a half at 11:30pm.

And sometimes I get this weird feeling that makes me feel dizzy and like I'll pass out. And then I get scared. My heart will start racing and beating really hard. And it'll leave me really shaky and worried.
Does Ativan cause some kind of chemical imbalance? Or do you think that it's because of my heart ?

Also- if I was diagnosed with my heart condition of Ectopic Atrial Tachycardia- from a professional electrophysiologist, would my heart condition change possibly to like AFIB or something ? I know that's a weird question. I've also been experiencing really bad anxiety lately. And I know that can affect you negatively. I worry about my blood pressure. And heart rhythm. Even tho he said it isnt fatal. What if it changed? And its something different? I also ordered an ALIVECOR ecg monitor for home and am waiting for it to come through the mail. I attatched some of the recordings and what i did yesterday of my BP.

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Holter test.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

Ativan
Lorazepam 1 mg thrice a day is a very high dose and yes definitely can precipitate palpitations.Palpitations are associated with an increased sympathetic nervous system response at the time high doses of lorazepam is tajen.This is because the inhibitory nervous system is not able to produce enough impulses to inhibit the sympathetic response. Also, Ativan may cause hypertension, bradycardia, and tachycardia which may be related to palpitations.
Simple suggestion is ask you doctor to reduce lorazepam to 1 mg once daily and add Paroxetine 25 mg once daily with it.

Sleep, energy, or appetite may show some improvement within the first 1-2 weeks. Improvement in these physical symptoms related to anxiety can be an important early signal that meds are working and may need up to 6-8 weeks to fully improve.

To telm if its afib or not go for holter test.It will record your beats for 24 hours and would capture nature of palpitations.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 5 hours later
My heart doctor said it was perfectly safe for me to take Ativan at the dose i am
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Ativan can be taken in doses aafely from 1mg to 10mg per day.
But that does not means that same side effects would be observed at 1mg and 10 mg doses.
Maximum 2 mg a day is usually used.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist