Suggest treatment for paranoid psychosis after stop taking Suboxone

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: My son who is 42 years old has stopped talking to us and has been holed up in his bedroom for months. He lives with us. He has been on suboxone for an heroin addiction for years. The new problem is that he thinks everything that is happening now has already happened to him and he thinks we know it and are lying to him when we tell him that it's never happened before. He won't listen to reason or anything we say. My husband and I don't know what to do! We need advice on how to handle this. Please help us! My son refuses to go for help because he thinks he is fine!

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately your son has developed a paranoid psychosis and needs to be psychiatrically hospitalized for treatment. What you need to do is call 911 and the ambulance will take him to an ER to be evaluated. He will respond to treatment with antipsychotic medication such as Risperdal, Haldol, or Zyprexa. He will improve with time.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Have you called 911 and described the situation to them? They absolutely would, should, and will take him to the ER for evaluation. They would be neglecting their duties not to take him, even against his will. I would communicate to your son that you are concerned and simply want to help him.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
They won't take him to the hospital because he refuses to go. What next? He won't even talk about it and gets very angry when we try to talk to him. He continues his job with no problems. Is there a certain way we should approach him?