Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for painful shingles

Answered by
Dr. Eni

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2015

Answered : 319 Questions

Posted on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Are shingles always painful? I have an under the skin rash. Not blisters. More like smal clustered hives. Started 8 days ago with a place under my chin and is now all the way around my neck and into my hair XXXXXXX behind my ears and on my jaw line. No new meds, ITCHES TERRIBLY...BENYDRIL DOESNT STOP THE ITCHING. It only makes me sleepy.
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Acyclovir or other antiviral if it is shingles.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thank You for posting on HealthcareMagic.

Is this your first episode of shingles? If you really have shingles you need to make sure and to start antiviral drugs such as Acyclovir as soon as possible. Benadryl or any other antihistaminic will not help.

Please keep in mind that, it can be shingles only when it involves half the body, head or chest. To verify it, you need to check with a dermatologist or infectious disease specialist and s/he will take scrubbing material from your skin and analyze it under the microscope.

If you have other question, please feel free to post them.

Dr. Eni

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Eni 18 minutes later
I’ve not been told this rash is shingles. Just trying to figure out what is causing it. It just keeps growing!
Answered by Dr. Eni 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is it half

Detailed Answer:

Is it on the first of the body that you are having?
Is it involving half the head, that means only the left or only the right side?

Could you please post/upload a picture of it? You can simply attach it to the reports section of this web-page.

Dr. Eni
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on