Suggest treatment for pain due to tongue tie in an infant

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 5 week old baby has tongue tie she seems in constant pain has gold sweats doesn't slep a lot and has symptons of silent reflux. We have changed formulas that made it worst what should we do
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tongue Tie

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question. Tongue is not typically related to reflux issues. We should first concentrate on the reflux. There are several formulas out there that can be tried. Sometimes we have to try more than one before ww find the one that works. Most are just thicker formulas meant to stay in the stomach better instead of refluxing. If these don't work, there are anti-reflux medications (ie: zantac, prevacid, etc...) that can be used. Its always better to try and find the non- medicinal answer though.
The tongue tie may or may not need to be addressed at some point. If the tongue tie interferes with proper feeding, or inhibits appropriate speech development in the months ahead, it will have to be addressed. If not, we can leave it be.