• question-icon

Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hello Sir/Mam,
My mother(62 Years Old) is long time patient of Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis since last 9 years.She is in continue treatment of the disease under the Rheumatologist (Dr. Alakendu Ghosh).
Currently we have visited to an Orthopedic as per Dr. A. Ghosh's advice. Now both the doctors are suggesting for TKR.
Should we go for the same ?
If YES then I would like to have your expert suggestions for her best treatment on Chances of success,Cost, Future after surgery, Precautions and Rules of post surgery life,Which product would be best etc.

I shall be grateful if you help me with your valuable comments.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
FOr this - preferred treatment is TKR.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I am Dr Gopal Goel, Orthopedic Surgeon.
With long standing Rheumatoid arthritis and Osteoarthritis of knee- TKR is the treatment of choice if patient is not able to walk comfortably and is unable to do activities of daily living. Additional problem in these patients is osteoporosis .
The success rate of TKR is very good in all patients now a days. In case of your mother ,I would get a bone densitometry and assess the bone weekness also and make the bones stronger( if required) before taking up TKR.
Cost of surgery depends from place to place ,Future is generally good and now a days there is good success rate and longevity of TKR.
Certain things you should discuss with your surgeon like implants, post op rehabilitation and precautions- as there are no general rules and it all depends on surgeons choice and patients condition.
I hope I have been clear and of help. Please feel free to ask any other question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 26 minutes later
I have asked for cost of the product which we would use for TKR and how long it will be fine ?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Product depends on surgeon and cost will be accordingly.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
There are many products available in the market. Depending on your mothers condition and surgeons preference , the implant will be chosen the range is from 55000- 200000 per knee ( taxes etc are additional). Normal life would be around 15-18 yrs if everything goes well.
Thanx for the question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon