Suggest treatment for neurofibromatosis
No cure as such.Symptomatic treatment.
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.
If you would have presented to me as an outpatient,I would have told that there is no cure for neurofibromatosis and the management is mainly symptomatic.The outlines of management are:
1)Tumors can be removed surgically or small ones with laser-for neurological or cosmetic indications.All tumors are not to be removed,like the ones which are attached to such crucial structures which pose a risk to be damaged if the tumor is removed,then such tumors are not removed by the surgeons.
2)Chemotherapy can be given in case of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors(This has been a debatable issue).
3)Laser therapy-I already told ,can be used to remove small tumors.It is also used for cutaneous hyperpigmented lesions like port-wine stain.It is not successful for cafe-au-lait spots,however.
4)Blood pressure should be monitored and managed as there is high propensity of hypertension due to pheochromocytoma.Pheochromocytoma if present,can be surgically resected.
5)Bony abnormalities like scoliosis,pseudoarthrosis may need surgery.Physical rehabilitation measures like braces are also used.
6)Periodic eye checkups for associated complications.
Hope I have answered your query.If you have some follow-up questions,I shall be glad to answer else,please close the thread-rate it and write a review.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for Neurofibromatosis type i
- Is there treatment for neurofibromatosis type 1 in ayurveda
- Ayurvedic neurofibromatosis treatment in banglore
- Neurofibromatosis acoustic treatment
- Neurofibromatosis treatment
- Treatment and cure for neurofibromatosis type 1
- Pitanjali treatment for neurofibromatosis
- Neurofibromatosis type2 treatment of ayourveda
- Ayurveda treatment neurofibromatosis