Suggest treatment for red mark on eyelid in an infant

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 21 Jan 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my infant has a red mark on the right eyelid, below the right eye and on the forehead. is it a salmon patch or port wine stain?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could you please upload an image?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query.
Salmon patch or port wine stain are nothing but proliferations of blood vessels under the skin. From the description alone, there is more likelihood of the mark being due to this condition. However, it is hard to comment without having a look. I would request you to upload an image using the facility on the upper right of this page. The image will help me to comment correctly on the actual condition that your child has.

I would await your response.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 minutes later
Here it is.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A milder version of port wine stain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I have checked the attached image. Indeed it is hemangioma (proliferation of subcutaneous blood vessels) as I mentioned. It is not typically a port wine stain or salmon patch, based on the disposition but is due to the same unerlying reason. Do not worry as it should gradually fade away as the age increases.

There are some milia (white dots) present alongwith. These are deposits of dead cells beneath the skin. These are normal in newborns and should gradually go away.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
Is it an XXXXXXX kiss birthmark then?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, its an angel's kiss.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it is called angel's kiss. You need not worry as it usually fades away on its own. May take some time however,

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Will it affect the eye in any way? The undereye area is quite red.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The eye would not be affected in any way.

Detailed Answer:
You may stay assured that the eye would not be affected in any way.