Suggest treatment for moles on shoulders

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Over the last several days, ive been uploading pictures of moles that I have. Unfortunately I have had a long wait to see my dermatologist, which will be on 7/29/14. As you could imagine, I'm very anxious and I've been consulting with your service on several mole that I have.

The one I'm consulting about today is on my left shoulder. It has been there awhile. A dermatologist just checked this area out about a month ago but was looking at the scar I have from a previous Biopsy. I didnt think to ask the dermatologist about this "mole" . I'm not sure it is even a mole or a dysplastic mole. This area has been looked at prior in January 2013 as well. I just can't be too sure if ive noticed any changes. The size of the area of the pigmenation is greater than 6mm. It is flat. No itching or bleeding or any past trauma.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dysplastic nevus

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I am Dr. Kakkar. I answered your previous related query too. This is a dysplastic nevus as well. Well defined but irregular margins, colour variegation, size > 5mm. If you can appreciate, as compared to the surrounding pigmented lesions, it is different looking, larger and has colour variegation.

I hope you don't start hating me. Please don't worry. A dysplastic nevus does'nt mean that it will turn into a melanoma.

Please get a detailed skin examination on your next visit with a dermatologist which is not too far away.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for moles on shoulders 3 minutes later
I could not start hating you lol. I appreciate the service you guys offer. You can literally drive yourself into a panic attack by looking on the internet at images and website. I appreciate your professionalism as well.

Another detail of the nevus is that it is flat and it's about 8mm in diameter.

Thank you again Dr. Kakkar S. You are a good man

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Let me know what your dermatologist says about these. I would suggest a dermoscopic evaluation of these lesions. Dermoscope gives a better, magnified view of structural features and also better visualises the pigment distribution pattern, whether it is regular or irregular.