Suggest treatment for lump in breast

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Lump
Question: Hello Doctor, my wife (35) has just detected a lump in right breast (lower side). There is no pain. We are currently out of XXXXXXX and will be coming back in December this year. Our question is, can we wait till return to XXXXXXX (~ 3 months) or visit a local doctor immediately.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
any family history of cancer?

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

If there is no family history of cancer in first degree relatives on her side (her mother or sisters) and if the lump is less than 4 cm in size and is not involving the skin or nipple, then you may wait till you return back to XXXXXXX As at her age we usually don't suspect cancer. At her age the lumps are usually benign fat condensation, known as fibroadenoma.

If any one of the above is present then you should show it to a surgeon for a clinical examination and a needle biopsy to help reach a diagnosis.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 2 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks indeed for your prompt advise.

Thankfully, there is no family history of cancer, lump is much smaller than 4 cm and is not on/very near nipple. However not sure if I understood "not involving the skin".

A bit more info: The lump is below the skin (feels like ~ 5 mm below). The skin above it seems normal (no wrinkles/ change in appearance). Also, it's been a year she last fed my baby (now 3 yrs old) but she still lactates a bit (which she removes by hands).

Thanks again for your timely and prompt help. It sure reduced the anxiety quite a bit.

Sincere thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
is the skin pinchable over the lump

Detailed Answer:

If she is able to pinch the skin overlying the lump then it means the skin is not involved.

And as she is still lactating, one more possibility is that the lump could be a galactocele (milk filled cyst). This is also a benign condition, but can complicate if it gets infected. So see a doctor if it becomes painful. Else you need not worry.

As such, as per your description, to me it looks like a benign lump only, and you can wait till you return back.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 20 minutes later
Thanks again doctor.

the skin is not pinchable. Lump seems very close to the skin. So seems like visiting a local doctor may be advisable.

Sincere thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes then a visit is advisible

Detailed Answer:

If the skin is not pinchable, it means that the lump is attached to the skin. This is usually not seen in benign lumps.

So you should get it checked by a local doctor. And also get a needle biopsy of the lump. They might even ask to get a mammogram also. These all will help to reach a diagnosis. Further management will depend upon the diagnosis.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T