Suggest treatment for low appetite in children

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My son is 20 months old. He is a very active baby, but the problem is his eating habits. He does not eat all, we can say he is very fussy eater. Is this just a phase or is there anything you can advise to improve his appetite.

Thanks you.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I won't get worried if growth is adequate

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.Your assumption is right as children of this age are very fussy regarding the eating behavior.They prefer to play instead of eating.As they grow their feeding behavior and pattern gets improved.
I won't get worried if baby is active and growth(height and weight) is adequate.

Give him small,frequent and high caloric diet to meet his nutritional requirement.
Offer a variety of food choices including cereal,fruits and vegetables so that he can try different thing and enjoy his choice of food.
Avoid carbonated drink and junk food as these things are the main reason of poor appetite.
Don't force him for feed.Let him finish his diet slowly and stop when he feels full.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 18 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.

is it fine if I give him milk (ISOMIL) 3 times a day,since he does not eat the whole day?
yes, I do keep offering him variety of finger foods but he just don't eat. but he is happy to eat chocolates. which I don't give him very often.

which fruits can I give him. since the pediatrician told not to give apple since it is difficult to digest.
Brief Answer:
There is no harm in giving apple

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

Apple is a very good fruit to have even when there is some digestive problem.This is the reason it is the most common prescribed fruit in the children even during weaning from milk to semisolid food during infancy.
I did not get any complaints from mother regarding any digestive issues with apple.
You can also give banana(rich in calories and iron needed for growth),papaya(rich in digestive enzyme),plum,peach and apple also.
Giving full fat milk is better in kids as this is rich in calorie.
Isomil is soy based formula and does not needed if baby has no lactose intolerance.You can give it to the baby according to his likes.