Suggest treatment for limb apraxia and speech apraxia in children

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: My son just turned four years old. He suffers from Limb apraxia, speech apraxia and sensory integration disorder. At the age of one week old, he had a fall at night. He did not lose consciousness and cried for about 2 minutes. He showed no signs of injury. Could the fall have anything to do with his apraxia?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He needs to undergo a Brain MRI.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

If you would have presented to me as an outpatient,I would have advised to get a Brain MRI done,as the initial step for evaluation of this syndrome.
The syndrome of limb and speech apraxia along with defect in sensory integration definitely points to some cerebral cortex lesion.A head trauma after a fall may also cause it, due to the cortical injury.Though,he did not lose consciousness after that fall,so it does not appear to be of such grave severity.Anyhow,first step to proceed for evaluation is getting a Brain MRI done.

Please follow up if you have any further query.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 minutes later
He is diagnosed with developemental apraxia. His sister has sensory integration disorder. Wouldn't the more likely scenerio be that it is developmental? He showed no signs of injury and the ER Doctor at the time did not recommend a scan.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
With positive family history,it is likely developmental.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Of course,as I already said the fall without the loss of consciousness was not of a grave severity,good enough to cause such a cortical damage.However,its always better to get a Brain imaging,in case of an apraxia syndrome.Even developmental apraxia can have secondary causes like perinatal birth asphyxia causing brain injury.Was the birth and post natal history of the child normal,or any complication?

Besides,as his sister is also having sensory integration disorder,the diagnosis of 'Developmental apraxia' with hereditary basis,appears correct and most likely.

Hope that I have answered your query.If you have some follow-up questions,I shall be glad to answer else please close the thread,rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist