Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for kidney disease at stage 4

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 206 Questions
I am 74 yrs old and was just diagnosed with kidney disease, stage 4. My son searched the web and he told me to go to a nutritionist. I do have an appointment with a nephrologist on 3/6/14. Should I wait to see the specialist before seeing to a nutritionist?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hypertension with Chronic Kidney Disease Detailed Answer: Hi, I appreciate your concern .We need to rule out Chronic Kidney Disease, which can occur in patients with long standing hypertension. Before you start any dietary modifications or treatment , it is important that we confirm the diagnosis .You need to get Renal Function Tests, Electrolytes and Ultrasound to look for any changes of Chronic Kidney Disease.So i would advice that you see your nephrologist first, who can do a detailed evaluation. Meanwhile kindly watch your urine output. Watch for uraemic symptoms like nausea, vomiting etc. Try avoiding Potassium rich foods like Citrus fruits etc.In case you are having decreased urine output, you might need sodium and water restriction to avoid volume overload. Hope It Helps.Kindly attach any available investigations and ask in case of any query. Dr. Kavita Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor