• question-icon

Suggest treatment for jaw and mouth pain

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I am 70 years old now and have dealt with this pain for over 30 years ! It comes infrequently, say 4-5 times a year but it is sooooo painful for approx 4-7 minutes...then leaves an 'echo' pain for a day or two. It starts in my jaw, travels over the roof of my mouth then goes in a direct line into my chest ...behind my breast but in front of my heart. Does that make any sense ? Last night was excruciating and I'd love to find a way to relieve this pain. Sometimes holding an ice cube in my mouth helps, but not often. Any suggestions would be soooo appreciated. I have RA, but it doesn't seem to be connected.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Trigeminal neuralgia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your history and description, Trigeminal neuralgia is the most likely diagnosis. However , it is an atypical case in light of the associated chest pain symptoms.
It is mainly a facial pain syndrome and involves the fifth cranial nerve.

Medical treatment options include pharmacological drugs as first line carbamazepine is the first line treatment for Trigeminal neuralgia. In non responders to carbemezepine Baclofen, Lamotrigine and Gabapentin can be used as alternatives.

Surgical options including microvascular decompression or Gamma knife surgery are resorted to if the medical therapy fails.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil