Suggest treatment for itchy lump around the anal area

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: Hi, I'm a 19 year old female. This morning I noticed a pea sized hard lump around my anal area. It isn't painful and I haven't had any bleeding or change in bowel habits. However, I have been noticing recently a clear mucus and a little bit of itching (although that could just be because I'm now aware it's there). Is this something I should be concerned about? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hemorrhoid

Detailed Answer:
It sounds like you have developed a small hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids can cause some itching but not usually mucus. If you have been on any antibiotics in the last 3 months then there could be some infection going on. Sometimes antibiotics kill off the normal gut bacteria and an infection called clostridium difficile can develop. However with this you should have diarrhea and a lot of mucus, so that is unlikely in your case.
Try to keep your stools soft by adding a fiber supplement if needed. Also drink plenty of water and get regular exercise. All these things help keep the stool soft and keep you regular. Constipation can make hemorrhoids worse.
If it is just a small hemorrhoid it will probably resolve on its own. If it becomes painful or if it is not resolving see your doctor and have them take a look at it to make sure of what it is.
Dr Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson