Suggest treatment for intermittent shoulder and neck pain

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello I have been having on and off for a week now shoulder and neck pain I do have issue with c4 c5 in neck but I also feel shoulder pain ..
hurts when I move my neck side to side also if I stretch my neck to the opposite side it pulls in the shoulder and I feel pain in the shoulder joints I am a bit concerned
I had a complete cardio work up done may 2016 and stress echo done dec 2016 all came back. Normal blood pressure is good I had X-ray done yesterday no results yet
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Looking at the description of the symptoms and the known neck issue I believe the things to be connected. Pain in neck issues is commonly not isolated to the neck but can also spread to the shoulders. That may be due to the inflammation and diffuse muscle spasm leading to radiation of the pain in adjacent areas. The fact that it is affected by neck movement confirms that. I do not believe it is related to the heart, no worry about that.

In terms of management it doesn't change much from what you have already been told for the neck issue probably. That is over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killers and muscle relaxants to alleviate current symptoms as well as physical therapy to avoid recurrences in the future.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.