Suggest treatment for inflammation of the right nostril

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I stupidly took a line of cocaine on Saturday night, (which done absolutely nothing for me) and will NOT be doing it again! The problem I have is that on monday morning I woke up with a terrible blocked nose, especially my right nostril. It was bothering me all day yesterday and was almost impossible to blow my nose. However today I managed to blow my nose and I got the fright of my life, as a huge chunk of rubbery like substance came out! this has happened 3 times today and Im really worried, also the bag under my right eye is all swollen, "please help".

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
blocked nose is likely due to inflammation of nasal cavity.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

The symptom of blocked nose is likely due to inflammation of nasal cavity (rhinitis) or sinusitis.

Majority of them are due to viral infection, but in some cases it could also be related to bacterial infection.

You are likely to be having viral infection.

You should take below mentioned symptomatic treatment to get some relief.

1) Antihistamines like levo-cetrizine 10 mg twice daily for cold and blocked nose.

2) Steam inhalation with warm salt water gargles which will certainly help for symptomatic relief.

3) Try fluticasone nasal spray (Brand Name: Flonase or Veramyst) which is a steroid preparation for the nose and works as an anti inflammatory medication.
It is used for inflammation in the nose (rhinitis) which is usually a seasonal occurrence in many people.
Taking fluticasone will reduce the swelling and inflammation in the nose and the mucus formed will be less, making you feel more comfortable and decrease the stuffy nose sensation.
This should be taken as two sprays in to each nostril and you will feel the benefits a day after you start using it.

Swollen under eye bags (right eye) could be due to stress (or inadequate sleep) or due to some viral conjunctival infection.

For the management of this condition,

1) Take adequate rest and use a raised pillow and bit higher level of head so that the water should not accumulate under the eyes part.

2) Apply cold compress over the eyes which will help to reduce swelling.

3) Avoid foods and beverages which causes more fluid retention such as alcohol, coffee, white sugar, fried foods, white flour, and salt.Also, keep the carbohydrates to a minimum.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks and Regards,

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar