Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for infected lump on buttocks

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5762 Questions
I have a lump in my left buttock cheek more towards the left hip and it is very painful and getting more so. Sometimes difficult to sit. My doc said there is nothing to do for it but gave me some antibiotics but those didn't help. Is there anything new out there to help with tHis? I am 65 yrs old. Cannot see the lump but can feel it. Lightly rubbing over the top produces pain also.
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pus accumulation. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Are you able to attach a photo of it? It would be much easier to give precise answer. Symptoms mentioned by you definitely indicate some kind of lump which is infected. Due to pus accumulation you get pain, redness and hardness in the lump area. Such lump is usually a being skin lesion like infected sebaceus cyst or hair follicle inflammation. If this lump is between the buttocks, pilonidal cyst can be the reason. If the lump is quite large, should be incised and pus drained. Antibiotics wont help if the pus is inside. Please consult a surgeon with this condition. Hope this will help. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for infected lump on buttocks 4 minutes later
Cannot be seen. It is not red or anything like that. I can only feel it. It is not anywhere near the tailbone. It is located just above the left hip but on the cheek. It feels like about the size of a nickel or quarter.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: If its not visible, than ultrasound should be done. If any fluid will be detected, can be punctured with needle or incised and drained. Please ask your doctor about soft tissues ultrasound. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor