Suggest treatment for hydrocele

Posted on Mon, 29 Dec 2014 in Men's Health
Question: what is the treatment for a Hydrocele
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hydrocele is a collection of clear fluid in a sac called tunica vaginalis which surrounds the testes. A small amount of fluid is usually present surrounding the testes in normal individuals as well. It is only when the fluid becomes more in quantity does the patient begin to appreciate that there is a swelling and comes for a consultation. Small amounts of hydrocele can be ignored, but if the swelling is large, and gives an ungainly appearance or interfering with dressing or in daily activities, we recommend a simple surgery where the fluid is let out, and the interior of the tunica lining is everted out so that it cannot cause a collection any more.
There are usually no medications for this, but if it is a hydrocele of recent onset associated with inflammation of testes, we suggest a brief trial of anti-inflammatory agents and antibiotics. Operating on an inflamed scrotum with infected testes might cause significant post-operative discomfort and persistent swelling even after what should have been an uneventful surgery.
You have not mentioned if your hydrocele is big or small, but I would also suggest that an ultrasound of scrotum be performed before proceeding with a decision to operate or not, which will help confirm that the underlying testes are indeed normal, so that there will be no surprises later.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. V. Sasanka 12 minutes later
ok well doc let me try explain this happened several years ago & used to cause some discomfort it would go up & then back down making the swelling obvious but it has not done that in a long time just thinking about the surgery to get rid of the swelling & no it doesn't cause any pain or discomfort

also what is the recovery time after surgery & is it in & out surgery or is it done in office or in the hospital
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Easy surgery, can be daycare

Detailed Answer:
Yes - most likely you must have had the inflammation earlier when you experienced discomfort, and now if there is no active inflammation or pain, the surgery should be straightforward. We do these surgeries as daycare, but usually in the operation theatre, i.e. not in the office.
The surgery is extremely simple, and therefore the recovery is fairly straightforward. Usually the pain is mild after the surgery - most people grade it 3 on a scale of 1-10 on the day of surgery, and the next day the pain would be very less - less than 1-2/10. There might be mild swelling initially of the testis after the surgery, but by 3 months things should be absolutely normal.
All the best wishes for an uneventful procedure.
Follow up: Dr. V. Sasanka 7 minutes later
ok well let me ask how long till I could have sex after the surgery immediately or a few days or a few weeks or dose it depend on the person
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depends on patient to some extent

Detailed Answer:
Having intercourse could be difficult if you have pain, and some people tend to be more sensitive than others with low pain threshold, while others could be quite stoic.
There are no specific guidelines, and in fact none needed, for resuming conjugal life post hydrocele surgery. If pain and discomfort are minimal or absent, I imagine 2 weeks later you would be quite comfortable in having intercourse.
Follow up: Dr. V. Sasanka 34 minutes later
one other question could a Hydrocele cause premature ejaculation
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
unlikely

Detailed Answer:
A Hydrocoele will almost never cause premature ejaculation.
Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist