What does this semen analysis report indicate?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Infertility Problem
Question: I need a doctor to review and explain my semen analysis report

Following are the two tests I have taken in the last month

Test # 1 - 3rd Nov 2017
Color: Grey White
Volume: 1.5 ml
Consistency: Liquid
pH: 8.0
Liquification time: 35 minutes
Total count: 28 million/ml
WBC (PUS Cells) 1-2/HPF
Rapidly Motile: 50%
Sluggishly Motile: 30%
Non Motile: 20%
Morphology
Normal: 40%
Abnormal 60%

Test # 2 - 21 Nov 2017
Color: Grey White
Volume: 1.0 ml
Consistency: Liquid
pH: 8.0
Liquification time: 45 minutes
Total count: 32 million/ml
WBC (PUS Cells) 0-1/HPF
Rapidly Motile: 55%
Sluggishly Motile: 25%
Non Motile: 20%
Morphology
Normal: 50%
Abnormal 50%

Please advise if everything is okay or do i need to worry about something? Am i perfect enough to become a father or are there areas of improvement?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal Semen Analysis

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

Your semen analysis report is excellent.

You don't need any treatment or medicines.

You can easily father a child with this report.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 15 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for the response.

Though I am very happy to hear that you have termed my report as "excellent". It still worries me that why as per the lab "normal range" i am either too low or on the borderline.

For example, according to the lab:

1. The volume of semen should be more than or equal to 2ml. Whereas in both tests my volume was 1/ 1.5 ml

2. The consistency should be either viscid or opalescent. Mine is liquid.

3. pH should be 7.2-8. Whereas i am at borderline at 8.0

4. Total count should be more than 20million/ml. I was at 28 and 32 mil/ml in both tests.

5. Rapidly motile should be more than or equal to 50%. In my both tests i was at 50/55.

6. Worse of all. The normal morphology should be more than 70%. In both of my tests i was at 40 and 50%.

Will be grateful for your detailed explanation. And ways i can improve these out of range/borderline areas. Many thanks!
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wrong reference

Detailed Answer:

Your lab is using wrong reference values. The value use today are WHO 2010 guidelines for semen analysis.You can see new guidelines in Internet. These are different amd your labs are using old guidelines.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 31 hours later
Dear Doctor,

I went through another test from another lab. As rightly indicated by you, i fell in the normal range in most fields except for one. Kindly explain the "3-" grade that i have got in the test. Here are the complete results:

Volume: 2 ml
Consistency: Liquid
Color: Light grey
Liquefaction time: 30 mins
Sperm count: 42 million/ml
Sperm motility: 60%
Activity grade: 3-
Sperm morphology: 35%
Pus cells: 0-1/HPF

Report: Sperm count, motility, morphology are essentially with in normal limits. Disturbed sperm motility pattern.
3- = * Fast, but undirected movement.

Kindly review and comment.

Also, i am suffering from premature ejaculation. So i apply Xylocaine (Lidocaine)% on my penis 30 minutes before intercourse. Is this okay for me to do so? (The intention is not to conceive at the moment - kindly comment in both scenarios i.e. a) attempting to conceive b) not attempting to conceive

Rest assured, the penis was clean before sample were given for the three tests.

Thank you doctor. You have no idea what a great help you have been.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal Report

Detailed Answer:

Report of 3- indicates motility pattern where the sperms are going in different patterns. But this is not a problem to conceive. You can get pregnant with this.

Premature ejaculation can be reduced by being calm, stress-free. You can request your doctor for Dapoxitene tablets prescription.