• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hemorrhoids

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My hemroids have not gone away.
It has been 10 days. I have a been applying preperation H.
I have no more pain or itchiness.
They usually go back up after a week.

Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No its not normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Patient,
Thank you for asking your query on HealthcareMagic.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be answering your query.
Have gone through your details and photo attached.
As per your query answers are-
Hemorrhoids are classified as-
(1) First-degree hemorrhoids (grade I): The anal cushions bleed but do not prolapse
(2) Second-degree hemorrhoids (grade II): The anal cushions prolapse through the anus on straining but reduce spontaneously;
(3) Third-degree hemorrhoids (grade III): The anal cushions prolapse through the anus on straining or exertion and require manual replacement into the anal canal
4) Fourth-degree hemorrhoids (grade IV): The prolapse stays out at all times and is irreducible.

So most likely in your case the hemorrhoid has progressed to Grade four now therefore it is non reducible.

Treatment of choice for grade 1 to 3 hemorrhoid is conservative however for grade 4 hemorrhoids either Non invasive procedures or surgery is done.

Some frequently used treatments in case of prolapsed hemorrhoid are-

1)Rubber band ligation is a procedure in which the hemorrhoid is tied off at its base with rubber bands, cutting off the blood flow to the hemorrhoid. Bery effective with high success rate.

2sclerotherapy -In this procedure, a chemical solution is injected into the hemorrhoid tissue to shrink it may be less effective than rubber band ligation.

Surgical procedures-
Hemorrhoidectmy it removes excessive tissue.
Hemorrhoidectomy is the most effective and complete way to treat hemorrhoids.

Hemorrhoid stapling. This procedure, called stapled hemorrhoidectomy or stapled hemorrhoidopexy, blocks blood flow to hemorrhoidal tissue. It is typically used only for internal hemorrhoids.

Meet you Gastroenterologist or general surgeon and discuss the options with him/her.
However you can go for rubber band ligation initially.

Hope answer was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist