Suggest treatment for anal itching and bleeding after bowel movement

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have an itchy anus and occasional bright red blood on the toilet tissue also some stingy after bowel movement. what can I do.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probable hemorrhoids

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic.

In most cases, this is caused by internal hemorrhoids and less common by polyps, anal fissure or pruritus ani.

Hemorrhoids are protrusions of veins in rectal wall and there are several stages of the hemorrhodal disease and the right treatment depends on type and stage of the disease.

Initially, it can be treated with dietary changes and sitz baths. There are few procedures which can be used but surgery should be avoided unless there is no improvement on conservative measures.

In the early phase, this is initially treated with dietary changes by having a high-fibre diet with a lot of fluids and make your stool soft. Also take fruit, vegetables, avoid chocolate, refined meat, overeating, and food that causes

There are supplements such as Psyllium and Detralex which may help as well.

Also, you should use sitz baths by sitting in warm water for 20minutes daily.
Second, it can be treated with rubber ligation or sclerotization and in severe stages and this can be done in ambulatory settings. On the other hand, open the surgery is recommended only in resistant cases but for this, you should consult proctologist about these options.

Other causes include abscess, fissure, and anal polyps but for this differentiation, you should get done proctological examination including colonoscopy.

Till then, try to follow my recommendations and see if this will be helpful.

Wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee