Suggest treatment for hematoma on the thigh

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a horse run over me after falling to the ground. He stepped mainly on the inside of left thigh. This happened on Sunday. I have been icing it but there is a hematoma the size of a grapefruit on left inside thigh and the entire leg from knee up is swollen with a very large bruise on inside thigh. I didn't go to a doctor because I thought they would tell me to do what I am already doing. Do I need to go to a doctor? I am able to walk on it....Sunday I couldn't put any weight on it. What should I be doing?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to apply hot water fomentation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I have studied your case and I think you are having hematoma. It is collection of blood in the thigh muscles. You do not need to go to doctor. You can follow these steps.
1.hot water fomentation
2.tablet Brufen 400 mg twice daily
3.avoid standing for long time.
4.compression bandage can be applied.
I hope these steps will be helpful for you. If you have Diabetes then you need to take antibiotics also.
Thanks