Suggest treatment for growing hematoma after discontinuing Coumadin

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Dr Spaho,
The same day you answered me I sent you a thank note - did it not come through;
my confusion is greater than ever since I first wrote to you; I had a second MRI that indicated the bleed had grown; I have been off my Coumadin now since the 13th of September - for me and my history this serious; last week I had a sonogram on both legs to assure no DVT's at this time and also a CT Scan of my head; see the following
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consider being operated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again XXXXXXX

Regarding to new information you provided, if I were your treating Doctor, since there is increasing in hematoma size and your need to be on anticoagulation, I would operate you, treat you with low weight heparinoids post operatively until the hematoma is resolved and, after that, start the coumadin again.

It is good news to know that there is no DVT assessed by imaging studies, but the risk exists without anticoagulation.

As always, these issues should be discussed with your treating Doctor.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar