Suggest treatment for gout in left foot

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Lupus
Question: Hello, I've been battling a case of gout since the 1st of the year in my left foot; big toe, top of foot, part of ankle. I've had previous gout problems, Take colcrys at first 2 pills a day until under control then to 1, maintained well for a few years. When this started, caused by trauma to toe, started immediately, looked gouty as well as infected. Was treated in hospital, but never really went away. Was placed on allopurinoll, 300mg. day and stayed on colcrys. Still never went away. I'm a 11 yr. CHF patient on lasix and aldactone as well as other drugs. Now it's been flaring a week plus, dr. went up on colcrys and allopurinoll. And still no relief, in fact might be worsening. It's very frustrating. I know that this in not enough info.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You might take a short course of steroid.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into the problem I would like to tell you that I think a short course of low dose steroid may help you control the present inflammation. But since you are suffering from congestive heart failure it needs to be seen how much the ejection fraction is before putting you on steroids . You can discuss this with your treating doctor .

Rest the treatment you are receiving is fine so no changes I would suggest for that. Any other query please let us know.

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist