Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

135 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for fluctuations in blood sugar levels

Answered by
Dr. Suma Parinam

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 1704 Questions

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Diabetes
Question: Hello,I am a 62 yr old male my weight is 120 kg and height is 6'3" . I am suffering from diabetes from last several years .my HbA1c came high this time it was 8.3 so doc change my medicine he prescribed Janumet 50/500 after breakfast and dinner and voglibose .3/500 after lunch and dinner. But I m taking plain voglibose.3 after lunch and dinner and ommited metformin from it. Now my fasting sugar is normal it's around 109 but PP comes higher it's between 150 to 175. Should I start metformin with viglibose ? Or more metformin will lower my sugar more. For high blood pressure I'm taking Lnblock 5 mg once. Pl guide me . Parag
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue metformin with voglibose

Detailed Answer:

I suggest to go with your doctor's combination of voglibose plus metformin. The problems of diabetes is not high sugar levels but fluctuations in levels before and after food.
Since fasting is 109, you should try post prandial around 140. Voglibose is not helping, so you may increase its dose or add metformin.
Since your doctor prescribed metformin please try it first.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Hba1c

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering from dehydration for a month and a half. The problem is when I get fluids from the ER, it comes back again because I have Diabetes and the medicine Januvia is preventing the fluids to stay in my system. My doctor still wants...

doctor1 MD

My Father has been gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.Mainly i want to know the health of the heart. And what we need to do next.

doctor1 MD

Can I reverse a possible chance that I have Typ 2 diebetties ?