Suggest treatment for fluctuations in blood sugar levels

Question
Hello,I am a 62 yr old male my weight is 120 kg and height is 6'3" . I am suffering from diabetes from last several years .my HbA1c came high this time it was 8.3 so doc change my medicine he prescribed Janumet 50/500 after breakfast and dinner and voglibose .3/500 after lunch and dinner. But I m taking plain voglibose.3 after lunch and dinner and ommited metformin from it. Now my fasting sugar is normal it's around 109 but PP comes higher it's between 150 to 175. Should I start metformin with viglibose ? Or more metformin will lower my sugar more. For high blood pressure I'm taking Lnblock 5 mg once. Pl guide me . Parag
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue metformin with voglibose

Detailed Answer:

I suggest to go with your doctor's combination of voglibose plus metformin. The problems of diabetes is not high sugar levels but fluctuations in levels before and after food.
Since fasting is 109, you should try post prandial around 140. Voglibose is not helping, so you may increase its dose or add metformin.
Since your doctor prescribed metformin please try it first.