question-icon

Suggest treatment for earaches and sudden hearing loss

Posted on Wed, 20 Jul 2016
Question: Hey dr,

I've had an earache the past couple of days. However this morning I woke up with it being completely blocked and it being very hard to hear out of my right ear now. I am on Sofradex drops 4 times daily with two drops in the effected ear but could the sudden hearing loss be a possible sign of a peforated eardrum? The ear is still painful so that hasn't changed but its a lot harder to hear out of my ear now. Should I continue my drops or go back to the doctor first?

Kind Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Go back to the doctor first

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your question and understand your concern; and I would like to inform that in your case sudden hearing loss is not due to the perforated ear drum because your ear is still painful.
Most probably it suggests the inflammatory swelling that blocking your ear canal.

Better to consult with your doctor first.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist