Suggest treatment for ear blockage and pain in and around the ear

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,

I have been facing blockage of ear from past 5 days and now it has started paining even if i touch my ear or places around my ear. I was under medication taking salvin and polares tablets and i am apply OTEK AC drops from yesterday.

Should i consult a specialist now or should i wait for some time.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, Consult ENT Specialist ASAP

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have gone through your query; it suggests that you may be suffering from the otitis externa.

If I were your treating doctor then I would advice
1. Avoid putting water, oil and ear bud in the ear.
2. Hot fomentation of the ear as much as possible.
3. For Antibiotics and pain killers consult with your treating doctor.

Better to consult ENT specialist to rule out other disease and better management. The antibiotic therapy will be initiated as per your ENT doctors choice.


Wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 1113 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Otitis externa

doctor1 MD

Hi, my boyfriend has been expiriencing hearing loss and pain in his ear canal and behind his ear. Today I noticed a swollon lymph node right behind...

doctor1 MD

I have ear infections in both ears due to a very bad cold that settled in the inner or middle ear. The doctor gave me medication and drops for the...

doctor1 MD

My 6 month old daughter has been on 5 different antibiotics for her ear infection. We finally took her to an ENT and, after a thorough examination,...

doctor1 MD

hello doctor my baby is 9 month old and has ear infection from last 20 days. we used medication for 5 days (antibiotics and ear drops) and then...

doctor1 MD

I've had fluid - sometimes a clear, off-white, sometimes with blood - oozing out of my right ear. There is no accompanying ongoing pain, just an...

doctor1 MD

Top of ear pain and swelling. How should I treat it and what are some possible causes?

doctor1 MD

why am I always getting ear infections? last year I had swimmer's ear in both ears and then after they cleared up, I got it again in my left ear...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

187 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction