• question-icon

Suggest treatment for dysuria

Posted on Tue, 24 Nov 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: had a staff infection was treated with Bactrim800/160. Burning Urine started a couple of days into treatment. remains after I finished the course.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rule out enlarged prostate as a primary cause of UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have UTI and have taken Bactrim for couple of days but still has burning urination .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have other symptoms like frequency for urination .urgency ,nocturia etc suggesting Enlarged prostate which is common at this age ?

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily .Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water .To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Since you are in a age group to have enlarged prostate I would suggest you to
consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist