Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

198 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for dysphagia

Answered by
Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 514 Questions

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, last night at dinner I had a problem trying to swallow some food. Felt like it was caught in my throat and I had to throw it up. I could breath but it continued and I couldn't finish my dinner. What would cause this? I don't have any allergies that I know of.
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be a structural defect in the esophagus

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxx,

I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

Difficulty in swallowing food is known as dysphagia. Here are some causes of dysphagia:
Achalasia which is the spasm of the lower esophageal sphincter
Strictures or tumors
Esophageal spasms
Scleroderma or scarring of the esophagus

It is a good idea to see a doctor to get esophagoscopy done to find out the cause. Esophagoscopy is when the esophagus is seen by using a scope or a lens.

I hope this help you answer the query. Please post a follow-up if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 33 minutes later
Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

Please rate the answer and give your feedback. I wish you the best of health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Scleroderma

doctor1 MD

i had a monometry done not that long ago and was told that i have scleroderma of the esophagus. basically the muscles of my esophagus are not working. i throw up food days after i eat it and have digestive and esophogeal issues that wont disappear. i have lupus and crest syndrome. i was told by my doctor that i may have to have a feeding tube placed under the problem area of my esophagus or part of my esophagus removed. What is going on?

doctor1 MD

My mother has been diagnosed with scleroderma for more than 20 years now. She is around 57 year old. She suffers from various symptoms for the disease including skin tightening, problem in swallowing food dur to throat tightening, coughing, itching, acidity ectc (due to many medicines I belive). But the main problem currently is painful ulcer formations, which keeps on happening constantly in her legs and feet and hands and increases despite contact medications. She is located in Kolkata and has been receiving treatment from renowned rheumatologists. However, nobody has been able to provide any good solution for the problems (I understand the disease is not curable). But in international articles/journals I have read that ulcer formation is due to improve blood circulation and I wonder if there is any specific treatment for it that we are not aware of. Waiting eagerly for your response.

doctor1 MD

Is it true that a person can have osteoarthritis and rheumatic arthritis at the same time?

doctor1 MD

Sporatic joint pain that may last for hours or days all over my body...shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees, ankles, all at the same time...especially elbows, hips, and knees...hips wake me up, or elbows if I am on my back. Temperature is about...

doctor1 MD

What can I do about genital warts or moles? I have schleradoma plus other autoimmune diseases YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here... Hi, I am Anjali Mishra , 34 years Female , I am suffering from Scleroderma , living in Ghaziabad(U.P.) from Last on week , i am suffering from heaviness around all my Chest and at the back , and continue feeling pain in the center of my chest , pls advice the best Doctor fro the treatment aand also advice why their is pain. pls advice urgently.

doctor1 MD

I have as neighbor who has been diagnosed with Scleroderma (sp?). Exactly what is it and what may Ido to help her? She is thin, (Scrawny) and almost crippled up with joint pain, etc. I rally want to be there for her and would like to know more about this disease. I would think it has something to do with skin (thus serma ) but with her it appears to be joints. Scarlett O Casey, Ph.D