Suggest treatment for dysphagia

Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, last night at dinner I had a problem trying to swallow some food. Felt like it was caught in my throat and I had to throw it up. I could breath but it continued and I couldn't finish my dinner. What would cause this? I don't have any allergies that I know of.
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be a structural defect in the esophagus

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxx,

I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

Difficulty in swallowing food is known as dysphagia. Here are some causes of dysphagia:
Achalasia which is the spasm of the lower esophageal sphincter
Strictures or tumors
Esophageal spasms
Scleroderma or scarring of the esophagus

It is a good idea to see a doctor to get esophagoscopy done to find out the cause. Esophagoscopy is when the esophagus is seen by using a scope or a lens.

I hope this help you answer the query. Please post a follow-up if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 33 minutes later
Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

Please rate the answer and give your feedback. I wish you the best of health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj