Can a person have osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis at the same time?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Is it true that a person can have osteoarthritis and rheumatic arthritis at the same
time?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, this can occur

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, it is possible to have more than one form of arthritis at the same time.

Arthritis refers to inflammation of the joints.

Osteoarthritis is due to wear and tear of the joints.

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition which means that the immune system is kind of reacting or fighting against itself.
This leads to damage to the joints.

It is a different type of arthritis.
There are other types of autoimmune arthritis such as lupus, scleroderma etc

There are also other types of arthritis such as gout which is due to excess uric acid.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions